writtengems

writtengems

Rowena's Key (The Golden Key Chronicles #1) - A.J. Nuest

This review first appeared on The Book Corner.

I received a copy of this book from the publishers via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Rowena Lindstrom, hasn’t been that successful with relationships. She has thrown herself into the family business, restoring antiques, inherited from her father. After searching for a long time she has tracked down a piece of furniture, an armoire, that once belonged to an ancestor. However it is not in the best condition. Whilst examining it she discovers a key, and soon after the armoire reveals a mirror with a strange man appearing it on it. On seeing her, Caedmon believes she is a sorceress, the holder of the key that can save his kingdom.

Rowena at first obviously thinks this is a practical joke sprung on her by her friend Ollie. However he soon begins to believe Caedmon is real, and starts to fall for him in the process.

I didn’t know what to expect when I started this book as it is not my normal kind of read. However, the more I read, the more I enjoyed it. It is like a grown up version of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe what with a magical piece of furniture and a mystical realm!

There’s really not much more I can add without giving the story away but this was a fun quick read, being the first book in a series of novellas and I look forward to reading the other two books currently out Candra’s Freedom and Caedmon’s Curse.

My rating is based reading only the first of the series and may change once I have read the other novellas.