writtengems

writtengems

The Museum of Extraordinary Things - Alice Hoffman

I received a copy of this novel from the publishers via Net Galley and this is my honest review.

Coralie Sardie has lived at her father's Museum of Extraordinary Things her whole life. Though she was sheltered from the contents of the museum until she was ten she has grown up surrounded by the people paid to perform there, the 'freaks' on show to entertain the masses. Born herself with a deformity, having webbed hands she keeps covered, she is trained by her father to hold her breath in water for long periods, and develops a talent for swimming.

When she is ten she is introduced to the world inside the museum and soon enough becomes one of the exhibits, the Mermaid, spending her days in a tank of water.

One night when Coralie is swimming in the Hudson River she comes across Eddie Cohen. This chance meeting sets into motion a series of events that lead her to question everything her father stands for, her past and her future.

Eddie Cohen has fled from his past, his family and his faith. He has inherited his photography business from his mentor and spends his days trying to find what is missing from his life, without knowing what that is. His past catches up with him when he is asked to investigate the disappearance of a young woman. His investigation leads him to discover more about his past, himself and his future.

Though I have heard of Alice Hoffman, she being the author of many works of fiction including Practical Magic, this was the first novel of hers I have read.

There is a lovely atmosphere to this book. Alice Hoffman evokes what I imagine 1900's New York and Coney Island to be like - the gaudy entertainment, the poverty and the struggle to 'fit in'. It has a sense of magic woven into it even though it is not magic that fills the Museum, just the extraordinary works of nature.

It is a story of two people who searching for something they didn't know they were looking for and finding more than they expected in the process. It weaves fact into fiction, the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire and the fire at Dreamlands Amusement Park are integral to the story. It is also the story of two fathers, both misunderstood for different reasons, their true natures coming to light and with that providing different forms of liberation.

An enjoyable read, I'll look out for more novels from Alice Hoffman.