writtengems

writtengems

The Best of Me - Nicholas Sparks

2.5/3 of 5 stars

I received a copy of this book from the publishers and this is my honest opinion.

Dawson and Amanda were teenage sweethearts, torn apart by the prejudices of Amanda's parents and fuelled by Dawson's own family. Their lives have taken them on different paths but they are drawn together again when they return home for the funeral of the man who had taken Dawson in when no one else would.

This was the first Nicholas Sparks novel I have read and I wasn't sure what to expect. I have of course heard of his other best selling novels but for some reason never picked one up.

I found this an ambivalent read, it was neither bad nor good. In fact I've wavered over my rating in that I didn't to give it a low rating, nor did I want to over rate it. I didn't really connect with any of the characters. I felt Dawson was the only really rounded character in that Nicholas Sparks seemed to spend more time initially introducing him to us. This perhaps was to the detriment of the other characters who felt a bit two dimensional sometimes to be fully engaging. There were some parts of the novel I was engaged in, then others were I was skim reading so it felt a bit disjointed to me at times.

The plot itself was OK, though I had guessed what would happen a long time before it did. I can however see how it would be a popular read. If you like Nicholas Sparks then I'm sure you won't want to miss this, and you'll be in a better position that I to judge how it compares to his other works.